When I first discovered Kristi of the awesomely named Alligator Toe I was instantly drawn to her easy going oh-so-thrifty style and engaging way with words…
+ the fact that she so reminded me of my 20-something self:
Twinsies? Perhaps in another life…or perhaps I’m just nuts…
Let’s get to know this amazing (& inspirational) eco-refashionista and discover her secrets of thrifting success!
The funny thing is, I didn’t actually start Alligator Toe…my boyfriend, Derek (who came up with the name Alligator Toe as a funny pet name for me), created a blank website for me to use however I wanted. Over a year later, I finally did.
But what had started as a silly idea – a blog about me, my life and my clothes? – has turned into a real passion for writing, taking photos and sharing my interests and adventures with others. I found an amazing community, my newest favorite creative outlet, and a sense of pride in myself and my work.
Alligator Toe has grown to become a popular source for trendy – and thrifty! – outfits, DIY inspiration, reviews and so much more!
Kristi’s Top Thrifting Tips:
1. Be open-minded. There is nothing more important when thrift shopping than having wide open eyes and a creative perspective. Don’t just take items at their face value, but look at the possibilities. It may not be perfect, but if it catches your attention, it might be worth a little elbow grease to turn that trash into treasure.
2. Inspect carefully! Many times, these items are secondhand for a reason, so inspect everything carefully. A small tear or nick can often be mended, but be on the lookout for any fatal flaws that will make a piece unusable.
3. Ignore tags, sizes and numbers. I pull clothes from every section of the store, men, women and kids, because I never know what I’m going to find. I wear pieces from sizes XS to XL, sizes 4 to 10, and it all fits! No one can see the tag when you’re wearing it, so ignore the tag (or cut it out!) – be comfortable and be fabulous!
4. Try clothing on. The dressing room can be a scary place, but just remember the tip from above – ignore tags and let yourself be surprised by what you might fall in love with and what will simply fall to the dressing room floor. Remember, it’s always free to try something on!
5. Check out the sales! This might seem like a “duh!” kind of tip, BUT most thrift stores, even the small ones, have some sort of sale or special going on (all yellow tags 50% off!). Ask an employee, look for posted signs, and check social media to see if you can follow the store (or chain) for updates on special sale days. I often get an extra 10, 20 or even 50% items and entire purchases by being extra sale savvy!
A massive Canadian bear squeeze & sloppy German kiss to Kristi for sharing!
Now head on over to Alligator Toe and snag some thrifty style inspiration!